When it comes to healthy cuisine, Vietnamese food is often hailed as one of the best choices. With its emphasis on fresh ingredients, balanced portions of protein, vegetables, carbs, and fats, and the use of aromatic spices and various flavors, Vietnamese cuisine offers a plethora of health benefits. Let’s explore why Vietnamese food is considered very healthy.
- Fresh Ingredients: One of the key factors that make Vietnamese food healthy is the use of fresh ingredients. Whether it’s a family meal at home or a dish at a restaurant, Vietnamese cuisine relies on fresh ingredients that are bought every day or every two days. Frozen food is kept to a minimum, as Vietnamese cooks prioritize using fresh produce, meats, and seafood. This ensures that the food is packed with nutrients and retains its natural flavors.
- Balanced Portions: Vietnamese food is known for its balanced portions of protein, vegetables, carbs, and fats. A typical Vietnamese meal will include a generous portion of vegetables, which are usually stir-fried, steamed, or served in soups. Protein sources such as meat, poultry, fish, tofu, or beans are also included in moderation. Carbs in Vietnamese cuisine come mainly from rice or sweet potato, which are considered healthier options compared to wheat flour-based carbs. Fats are used sparingly, usually in the form of cooking oils or from natural sources such as nuts and seeds, adding a healthy balance to the meal.
- Aromatic Spices: Vietnamese cuisine is known for its diverse use of aromatic spices, which not only add flavor but also offer numerous health benefits. Spices such as turmeric, chili, garlic, lemongrass, onion, and cinnamon are commonly used in Vietnamese cooking. These spices are known for their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties, which can help boost the immune system, improve digestion, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Various Flavors: Vietnamese food is all about the perfect balance of flavors. Vietnamese cuisine incorporates a wide range of flavors, including bitter, sweet, sour, and spicy. This combination of flavors not only tantalizes the taste buds but also provides a well-rounded eating experience. The use of natural sweeteners such as fruit, honey, or palm sugar adds sweetness without the need for excessive added sugars, making Vietnamese food a healthy choice for those watching their sugar intake.
- Herbs: Herbs are essential in Vietnamese cuisine for their flavors and digestive benefits. Fresh herbs like cilantro, mint, basil, and lemongrass add depth and freshness to dishes. These herbs offer health benefits, like ginger soothing the stomach and lemongrass aiding digestion. Vietnamese cuisine combines flavorful herbs with digestive benefits, making it delicious and health-supportive. Vietnamese culinary practices recognize the therapeutic properties of herbs, making them integral to the country’s unique flavor profile. So, appreciate the herbs that enhance the taste and support digestion in Vietnamese food.
- Colorful and Balanced: Vietnamese cuisine follows the principle of yin and yang, which emphasizes the balance between opposing forces. Vietnamese dishes are often colorful, with a variety of vegetables, herbs, and spices, which provide a visually appealing and nutritionally balanced meal. The use of different colors in Vietnamese food signifies the incorporation of various nutrients, making it a wholesome and nutritious choice.
- Made-to-Order: Another reason why Vietnamese food is healthy is that it is often made-to-order. Whether it’s at a restaurant or at home, Vietnamese cooks strive to make food quickly, served hot and fresh. This ensures that the food retains its nutritional value and is not loaded with excessive unhealthy preservatives or additives. Vietnamese cuisine values the freshness and quality of ingredients, resulting in healthier and more flavorful meals.
In conclusion, Vietnamese food is considered very healthy due to its emphasis on fresh ingredients, balanced portions of protein, vegetables, carbs, and fats, use of aromatic spices, various flavors, colorful and balanced presentation, and made-to-order approach. Vietnamese cuisine offers a wide range of health benefits, making it a popular choice for those looking to enjoy delicious and nutritious meals. So, next time you’re in the mood for a healthy and flavorful meal, consider trying Vietnamese cuisine and experience the goodness of this wholesome culinary tradition.
By Vietnamese Cuisine With Locals Team